Friday, August 10, 2012

Lazy

This week has felt pretty lazy to me. Although looking back I have actually accomplished a lot. Let's work backwards, shall we?

Today I made a gift for my dance partner and his wife's baby that is due in September. They are having a little boy and believe it or not, this aviator-style hat and goggles was requested by Caleb months ago (my partner). I don't think he was really serious about be making it so it will be a fun surprise when I give it to them. I couldn't find a free pattern I liked so I kind of put a bunch of things together and made my own. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out! It is always fun to find a cute accessory for a baby boy, considering there are SO many cute girl things out there.

I'm getting excited for fall again and being able to make and sell more of my crocheted stuff.

Yesterday was dinner group and I was in charge. I tried a new recipe and it was a winner! Everyone seemed to like it a lot, and I would definitely repeat it. Here it is:

Spicy Avocado Chicken Enchiladas
Yield: serves 4
Recipe Note: To make these as Spicy as their name, leave in the seeds in the Serrano Pepper and use a "medium" Salsa Verde. For those without the love of heat, seed the Serrano Pepper and use a "mild" Salsa Verde.

Ingredients:

for the sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1 Serrano pepper, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup medium salsa verde
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
for the enchiladas:
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
8 oz Cabot Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded & divided
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 avocados, peeled and chopped
8-10 flour tortillas

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute serrano pepper and garlic, for 1 minute. Stir in flour, constantly stirring, and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a low boil. Once boiling, whisk in the sour cream, salsa verde and cilantro. Remove from heat.
Spray/grease a 9×13 baking dish. Add 3/4 cup sauce to the bottom of the pan. Add chicken, Cabot Monterrey Jack Cheese, onion and avocado to the center of each tortilla and roll, placing seam-side down in the dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Top with leftover cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbling. Serve immediately.

One of these days I will actually take pictures of all of us at dinner group...

On Wednesday I was able to perform in my friend Allie's senior project showcase. I'm kicking myself because I fully intended to take a picture with all of us at the end but totally forgot! Grrrr.

I've always wanted to be in someone's senior project so when Allie asked me I was really excited. She choreographed a modern piece about the attacks that occurred on September 11th. It was an awesome experience and one I will always remember.

Katie and Dave came to watch the show along with Jer and afterwards we went mini golfing. For an update on that, click here.

People Like Us and the envelope Method:
On Tuesday we went to see this movie at the dollar theater. If any of you are familiar with the dollar theater here, Tuesday is dollar night which means tickets are REALLY only a dollar. I remember my dad telling me about the times when he and my mom were first married how they would keep their money in envelopes alotted to each spending category to help with their budgeting. Jer and I decided to try this out this month and are actually having fun trying to stick like glue to our budget. Ergo, dollar night at the dollar theater. With our two tickets and popcorn we spent $7 total on that date. Stick that in your back pocket. :o)
 
We were pleasantly surprised with the movie. Definitely worth a dollar. I don't want to ruin the movie for any of you so I won't say anything more.
 
Running, Pilates, Dancing
 
One benefit of having a little more time on my hands is choosing when and what I do for exercise. I have been running, which you all know I hate, but I feel good about it. I'm also really enjoying pilates classes at 24 and of course dancing everyday! 
 
Jer, Caleb and I are headed to Vegas for a comp next weekend. We will let you know how it goes!




No comments:

Post a Comment