Thursday, July 5, 2012

I'm Proud to be an American!

Yesterday was the 4th of July and we were able to go and spend a couple days with Jer's family! The 4th in Kaysville is a big deal, let me tell you! Our day was packed with fun activites.

We started our day bright and early with a 5K! My first, to be exact. If any of you know me, you know I absolutely hate to run and don't do it if I don't have to. When Jer's mom told us the family was planning on participating I decided that I needed to just get over my running hatred and give it a try.
And guess what?

 I finished! (Thanks to Di for the great pics!)
Jer was so wonderful and supportive the whole way, he ran with me at my pace the whole time and kept giving me words of encouragement. My goal was to run the whole thing without walking and to run it in under 33 minutes. Our time was 32:54 and I didn't walk once. I was very proud of myself and grateful for my sweet hubby. The rest of the fam was there at the finish line cheering us on as we came in. Dianna won first place in her age group and Tay got 4th in hers! Go Di and Tay!

Next up was the parade.
Here are Jer, Di and Bry with the parade in the background. Look at all those people! I don't think I've ever seen that many people at a parade before. It was really fun to see all the floats and watch people run for the candy and goodies they were throwing out. The girls and I stood in the shade for a while under someone's tent because it was 95 degrees outside yowzas!

After the parade we walked through the carnival they have and grabbed some yummy tacos for lunch.

In the evening we had a family picnic in the Barton's backyard with lots of the family.
 Jer with sweet Grandma Barton. (Check out those desserts!) Did I mention the food was TDF?
 Jer and I after DEFINITELY over-eating. :o)
 Playing ping pong with the cousins.
Jer with almost all of the cousins on the Woodland side. Just missing Curt's kiddos.

The heat had subsided a lot by the time we had our picnic so it was beautiful out and so relaxing to sit and enjoy everyone's company for a couple hours.

I'm kicking myself for not trying to get a picture at the fireworks show, but we did go to see the fireworks later that night.

It's times like these that Jer and I remember how grateful we are for our families and the great relationships we have with them. Not everyone is so fortunate and we know what we've got is a really good thing! :o)

Happy 4th everybody and thank goodness for the rain today! Let's hope it will help get those fires under control!

No comments:

Post a Comment