Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wednesday Winners

Here are the winning recipes for this week. My notes are in RED :o).

Breakfast:
Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal

Blueberry & Raspberry Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients:

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, divided
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup maple syrup (I used sugar free)
1 cup milk (I used skim) I did 1/3 c silk original coconut milk and the rest skim milk. Made it creamy and nutty. :o)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced - I only used one banana
1 cup blueberries or raspberries, fresh or frozen, divided

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish. In a medium bowl, mix the oats, half of the walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the syrup, milk, egg, butter, and vanilla.
3. Spread the sliced bananas in a single layer over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half of the berries. Sprinkle the dry oat mixture over the fruit in an even layer. Pour the liquid ingredients evenly over the oats.
4. Sprinkle the remaining nuts and berries over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is browned and the oats have set. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
 What I like about this recipe:
-Only about 200 calories/serving and very hearty!
-You can make the batch and then eat it for a week.
-I love the baked-factor, the oatmeal isn't too dry, but still isn't mushy.


Lunch:
Green Goddess Grilled Cheese
 

Green Goddess Grilled Cheese Sandwich

based on all those gorgeous green goddesses out there…
makes 1 sandwich

Ingredients

2 slices bread (we used a white bread, but one filled with lots of different whole grains and seeds would be *awesome*) I used one slice honey whole wheat cut in half
2-3 tablespoons Green Goddess Herb Pesto (recipe below)
2 slices mild white melty cheese like mozzarella I also used one slice provolone
handful fresh baby spinach
¼ avocado, sliced
2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled I omitted this because I didn't have any on hand and it was still TDF
olive oil (and butter if you’re so inclined) I didn't use any butter

Directions

Spread about 1 tablespoon of Green Goddess Herb Pesto onto each slice of bread (2 tablespoons total, but if you’re sensitive, go light, the pesto is STRONG).
On one slice of bread, add 1 slice of cheese, sliced avocado, crumbled goat cheese, spinach, second slice of cheese, then top it with second slice of bread. Press together gently.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium low heat. (If you want to use butter, add it to the oil and let it melt). Add the sandwich to the oil and cook until bread is golden brown. Press down on the sandwich lightly, then flip the sandwich over and cook until second side is golden brown.

There is a recipe for the green goddess pesto but I just used some that I had handy that I bought from the store. This makes it much more time-efficient and just as delicious! 

What I like:
-SO easy
-Healthy! I love grilled cheese but find that they are not the healthiest sandwich in the book. I made a few adjustments to make mine lower carb and it was perfect!
-Delicious. Avocado makes everything taste better.

Dinner:
Mexican Lasagna


Ingredients
  • 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 package (about 1 ounce) fajita seasoning mix I used taco seasoning
  • 1 pound ground beef I used ground turkey
  • 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Golden Mushroom Soup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
  • 12 corn tortillas (5-to 6- inch)
  • Chopped tomatoes (optional)
  • Sliced green onions (optional)
I added chopped avocado on top and served it with sour cream. Soooooo good!

Preparation

    1. Stir cheese soup, milk and half the fajita seasoning in medium bowl until mixture is smooth.
    2. Cook beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.
    3. Stir mushroom soup, water, chili powder, oregano and remaining fajita seasoning in skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
    4. Place 3 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart shallow baking dish, overlapping slightly. Spread 1 cup beef mixture over the tortillas. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining tortillas. Spread the cheese soup mixture over the tortillas.
    5. Bake at 350°F. for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the tomatoes and onions, if desired.

    What I like:
    -SUPER easy and very few ingredients-most things you may already have on hand
    -Completely gluten free! (Of course making sure you do get corn tortillas.)
    -Total comfort food. 

 Dessert: 
Chocolate Scotcheroos
This recipe is courtesy of my MIL Dianna, and is one of my hubby's favorites! It was a traditional dessert in his family growing up so he was excited when I made them. I was assigned to bring dessert for our dinner group tonight and I knew they would be a hit. We also gave some to our home teachers and visiting teachees.

Ingredients:
1 c sugar
1 c light corn syrup
3/4 c creamy peanut butter
6 c rice krispies
1 c semi sweet chocolate chips
1 c butterscotch chips

Directions:
-Bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat.
-Remove from heat and add peanut butter, then rice krispies.
-Press into a greased 9x13 pan and let set.
-Melt both chips together in a saucepan over very low heat.
-Pour melted chips over krispie mixture.
-Chill 5 min, cut into squares and enjoy!

What I like:
-My hubby loves them. :o)
-They can be gluten free (as long as you buy the gf krispies, just in the cereal aisle next to the regulars.)
-Super easy!
-A fun new twist on a regular old rice krispie treat.
-No baking!

1 comment:

  1. These look awesome! I just printed them out so I can try them. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete