Monday, January 23, 2012

Funny Story and a Recipe

By the way, has anyone tried the recipes I've posted? I'd love to hear if you liked them!

So yesterday I got two e-mail from Costco. One was a "127 day reminder" and the other was a "321 day reminder." I had photos that I had ordered that many days ago and had never been reminded since but it seemed appropriate to send me a reminder on the 127th day and the 321st day. Of course this whole thing is my fault because I ordered pictures and then COMPLETELY forgot about them for a whole year but I had to chuckle when I read those e-mails.

When I picked up the pictures at Costco, I discovered that they were wedding pictures that I had the best intentions to frame and put in our new home (well it was new 321 days ago). One in particular is a shadow box I have that I have had this picture in for the last 3 1/2 years:
 This is from my Jr. year of college when we had a photo shoot so we could make our apartment more homey. I had this displayed on our big shelf in the living room with the thought in mind that I would replace the picture. Well here is has sat for the past year and every time I look at it, I think, I thought I gotten a picture to replace this but can't seem to remember where it is???
Well, amongst several other large prints was this perfectly sized photo that was clearly meant for this very shadow box. Thank goodness for Costco's 321 day reminder. Seriously. Now I can finally move on from my single life and fully embrace marriage through my shadow box display ;o).

Now for the recipe. This one comes from the most recent Real Simple magazine with a few tweaks. I wouldn't say it is necessarily a light recipe but I don't think its too bad for you either. I LOVE that this is a slow cooker recipe because my crockpot is one of my best friends.

Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients

Directions

  1. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the mushrooms, carrots, onion, flour, thyme, bay leaf, and ½ cup water. Place the chicken on top; season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
  2. Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
  3. Thirty minutes before serving, heat oven to 425° F. Using a 4½-inch cutter or large glass, cut the pastry into 4 circles. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
  4. Ten minutes before serving, add the peas, green beans, cream, and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high or low until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more. To serve, place the chicken mixture in bowls and top with the pastry rounds. 
I actually made biscuits instead of buying puff pastry. I kind of envisioned the Chicken and Biscuits from Cheesecake Factory so I made a special quick recipe from my great Grandma Lytle. Bisquick would work too, or even Grands. It was really good and actually quite rich. 



No comments:

Post a Comment