So yesterday I got two e-mail from Costco. One was a "127 day reminder" and the other was a "321 day reminder." I had photos that I had ordered that many days ago and had never been reminded since but it seemed appropriate to send me a reminder on the 127th day and the 321st day. Of course this whole thing is my fault because I ordered pictures and then COMPLETELY forgot about them for a whole year but I had to chuckle when I read those e-mails.
When I picked up the pictures at Costco, I discovered that they were wedding pictures that I had the best intentions to frame and put in our new home (well it was new 321 days ago). One in particular is a shadow box I have that I have had this picture in for the last 3 1/2 years:
Now for the recipe. This one comes from the most recent Real Simple magazine with a few tweaks. I wouldn't say it is necessarily a light recipe but I don't think its too bad for you either. I LOVE that this is a slow cooker recipe because my crockpot is one of my best friends.
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and halved if large
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry (half a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the mushrooms, carrots, onion, flour, thyme, bay leaf, and ½ cup water. Place the chicken on top; season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- Thirty minutes before serving, heat oven to 425° F. Using a 4½-inch cutter or large glass, cut the pastry into 4 circles. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Ten minutes before serving, add the peas, green beans, cream, and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high or low until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more. To serve, place the chicken mixture in bowls and top with the pastry rounds.